Thursday 1 July 2010

Bill Rammell to not stand for Harlow again

Bill Rammell the former Labour MP for Harlow, beaten by Robert Halfon earlier this year has announced to the Harlow Star today here that he has decided that he will not be standing for parliament again.

I have to say, I think that's a real shame. I am obviously no supporter of Bills politics, having worked flat out to beat him and get Rob elected in his stead, but no one can question that Bill was not only a very good and conscientious MP he also enlivened the political landscape of Harlow.

His excuse that he will be too old in five years time at 55 frankly does not hold water, given the age of many MPs who have served with distinction to much greater ages.

Bill is reported to have told the Star that "it was time for a new candidate to spearhead the fight to wrestle control of the town back from the Conservatives" now obviously I am biased but I have fought Harlow Labour Party since 1998 at every election and during "peacetime" and I have to say I am not aware of anyone with a fraction of Bills talent to take over his mantle.

And in that I am happy. Bill was a well liked, well known and hard working MP who was difficult for Rob and the team to unseat, I don't see an unknown outsider coming into Harlow having much chance of beating Rob Halfon at the next election.

No comments:

Post a Comment